10 Best Oils For Natural Hair
I've been natural off and on for about 10 years now but fully natural since 2007. I've always used oil in my hair care regimen for a variety of reasons but but began using them more consistently once I met Rochelle Graham of Alikay Naturals and learned about the L.O.C Method. Gone are the days of greasing (clogging) my scalp with heavy petroleum based products that had no real benefit to growing longer and stronger hair. When my hair is not in a protective style, I make sure I do it daily or every other day depending how moisturized my hair is. Here are some other ways I incorporate oils to assist in the growth and health of my hair:
- I love using Vatika Oil to saturate my hair the night before I do a Bentonite Clay Treatment Mask
- When my hair is in a protective style such as box braids or Marley Twists, I oil my scalp nightly with Jamaican Black Castor Oil which is great for hair growth
- I can't recall the last night I straightened my hair but when I'm in a pinch and I can't air dry, I set my blow dryer on low. Even so, I always use a natural heat protectant - grapeseed oil
- When unraveling my twists outs, I make sure to first coat my palms with coconut oil or jojoba oil
Are you just getting started with oils and the whole thing seems daunting? Here's my list of the 10 Best Oils For Natural Hair to get you started!
1. Jamaican Black Castor Oil // This oil is great for stimulating hair growth! Experiencing hair loss? Get some immediately and gently massage your scalp nightly.
2. Vatika Oil // Great for strengthening hair, promotes hair growth, shine and makes hair more manageable. Here's an old post detailing what Vatika Oil is if you haven't tried it as yet.
3. Argan Oil // Typically the most expensive of the oils listed here but is very light and won't weigh down your tresses.
4. Lemongrass & Lavender Oil // Read this old post of mine to find out all about this magical oil that I used to get my edges back post pregnancy!
5. Alikay Naturals Essential 17 Hair Growth Oil // This oil is next up on my list of products to try. I haven't used it as yet but I've only heard good things.
6. Coconut Oil // Great for everything from styling to assisting with styling, Most importantly, this oil is jam packed with vitamins that will aid in the overall health of your hair. If you're experiencing frizz, this would be a great oil to combat that as well.
7. Grapeseed Oil // A natural heat protectant - never apply heat to your hair without some type of protection, even if you're using a low heat setting.
8. Jojoba // If you're just getting started with oils, I'd start this one first.
9. Olive Oil // More than likely you already have this in your pantry, so grab it immediately. This oil helps with dandruff and makes hair shiny.
10. Peppermint // Stimulates hair growth!
Now that we're getting started on oils, look out for a more in depth post where I breakdown each oil and share how they can be beneficial to your skin as well.
Do you incorporate oils in your natural hair regimen? Which are your favorites?
CLICK TO SHOP THESE GREAT OILS FOR NATURAL HAIR